Representing the UK’s insurance and long-term savings industry
The Association of British Insurers is the leading trade association for insurers and providers of long term savings. Our 250 members include most household names and specialist providers who contribute £12 billion in taxes and manage investments of £1.8 trillion. We work on behalf of our members talking directly to decision-makers and campaigning for change on important issues for insurers and their customers.
As a member of the ABI your voice is heard by regulators, policymakers, opinion formers and the media. We influence policy in the UK, European Union (EU) and globally. We bring the insight and expertise you need on current and future regulation, legislation and trends. We are a key partner in supporting your business to be successful in a complex external environment.
As a member of the ABI you will benefit from:
Representation and engagement
- The ABI works on behalf of its members with decision-makers such as regulators, Government and parliamentarians to influence key policy decisions.
- The ABI provides representation beyond the UK, engaging with European leadership as the biggest member of Insurance Europe and working with other influential bodies.
Policy intelligence and expertise
- The ABI’s policy advisers are experts in their fields and provide members with comprehensive policy insight.
- Members have access to industry-wide information such as weekly updates on the key developments in our sector along with market and product specific insight.
Research and statistics
- ABI members receive free access to ABI industry statistics, including premium and claims data, benchmarking exercises, quarterly new business surveys, assets under management, plus many ad hoc collections to inform policy positions and historical data.
Member groups and committees
- The ABI has over 100 Member Groups that reflect the diversity of our members and the issues we deal with; ranging from Board Committees to informal networks and temporary and permanent groups covering general insurance, long term savings, protection, and health issues.
Events and networking
- The ABI holds a range of events from member-only technical briefings to flagship strategy conferences with influential keynote speakers and attendees who include a mix of members and external stakeholders.
- The ABI facilitates networking opportunities giving members the chance to talk directly with regulators and decision-makers at the heart of Government.
- As part of the ABI membership offer we give members access to a range of free events, and further events are offered at discounted rates.
Training and development – Future Leaders Programme
- The new one year programme has been created in consultation with insurers to complement and add to the development pathways of their most promising senior leaders.
- As part of the ABI commitment to encouraging diversity within the industry, this programme is a way for members to support their own efforts at promoting women in their executive pipeline.
- As well as meeting key influencers outside the industry, such as Ministers, Policymakers and Lobbyists, delegates will spend time hearing from existing CEOs within the industry.
- Access to a dedicated Members’ Area of the ABI website with all the latest news, policy insight and research keeping members up-to-date in key industry developments. (If you work for an ABI member company and would like a login, you can register here)
Public awareness campaigns and public relations
- Members benefit from high-profile ABI campaigns on issues that matter to our industry.
- The ABI proactively engages with the media to improve understanding and promote awareness of the insurance sector.
For more information about any of these benefits, or to find out how to get more involved, please contact Julie Geraud, Assistant Director, Head of Member Relations, Partnerships & Events, by email at email@example.com or by phone on 020 7216 7680.
Joining the ABI
Membership is open to all insurance companies that are eligible to transact insurance business, and are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) or European Economic Area-registered. Membership is not open to brokers, intermediaries or loss adjusters, who have their own trade associations.
To find out more about the ABI and how membership works, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be in touch. Our conditions of membership can be found here.