We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Motor statistics update Q3 2013

Our motor insurance data for Q3 2013 has now been published. The results include:

  • In Q3 2013, comprehensive policies corresponded to 96% of total private car exposure, with non-comprehensive policies covering the remaining 4%
  • Claims frequency for private car, measured as the number of claims notified divided by exposure, has increased slightly to 12.7% in Q3 2013, compared to 12.6% in the previous quarter
  • Although claims frequency has slightly increased over the last two quarters, it has fallen significantly since 1996, when it was estimated to be 20.4% (as seen in the below chart of private car claims frequency)

Motor claims frequency Q3 2013

Detailed statistics on the insurance industry are available to purchase. See our industry data section for more details.


Last updated 01/07/2016