We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

West Country floods advice to policy holders

The ABI (Association of British Insurers) has issued advice to property owners who have suffered flood damage following flash floods in the West Country:

  • Household and business insurance policies will cover flood damage. People affected should contact their insurer as soon as possible. Most offer 24-hour emergency helpline services to arrange for repairs to be carried out.
  • If necessary arrange for temporary repairs to be carried out to stop any damage getting worse. Keep receipts, as these will be needed for your insurance claim.
  • Most policies will cover the cost of alternative accommodation (up to a specified limit) if you need to move out of your home while it is being repaired.
  • Comprehensive motor insurance will cover damage caused to vehicles
  • Do not use electricity or water supplies until the all clear is given.
  • If you can, take photographs of the damage. If you need to remove carpets or other badly damaged material from your home, keep a sample or photograph to show to your insurer.

Do not rush to redecorate, as it may take some weeks for the property to fully dry out.

Nick Starling, Director of General Insurance at the ABI said:

"These events highlight just how important insurance protection is. If you have been affected by flooding, contact your insurance company. Their priority is to deal with all claims as quickly as possible."

Following last summer's floods the insurance industry dealt with over 180,000 claims costing in the region of £3 billion.

Last updated 01/07/2016