We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Flooding Insurance advice from the ABI

 The ABI has issued advice to people who have suffered flood damage following the recent heavy rainfall.

  • Household and business insurance policies cover flood damage. If you have been affected, contact your insurer as soon as possible.  Most offer 24-hour emergency helpline services to arrange for repairs to be carried out and damage to be inspected.
  • If necessary, arrange for temporary repairs to be carried out to stop any damage getting worse. Keep receipts, as these will be needed for your insurance claim.
  • Most policies will cover the cost of alternative accommodation (up to a specified limit) if you need to move out of your home while it is being repaired.
  • Comprehensive motor insurance will cover flood damage caused to vehicles.
  • Do not use electricity or water supplies until the all clear is given.
  • Once flood water has receded, disinfect floors and furnishings. Where practical, leave doors, windows and cupboards open. If possible, keep rooms heated.
  • Do not rush to redecorate, as it may take some weeks for the property to fully dry out.
  • Don't do anything that puts you or your family at risk.

 Nick Starling, the ABI's Director of General Insurance and Health, said:

"Events like flooding highlight why insurance is so important. The first priority for insurers will be to ensure that every claim is dealt with as quickly as possible and they will do everything they can to help customers recover."


- ENDS -

Last updated 01/07/2016