We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Advice for insurance customers affected by storm damage

Following the storm which has affected large parts of the UK, the ABI offers the following advice and information to insurance customers:

  • Household, business and comprehensive motor insurance policies cover flood and storm damage. Most home insurance policies will cover the cost of alternative accommodation (up to a specified limit) if you need to move out of your home while it is being repaired.
  • If you have been flooded or have damage caused by a storm contact your insurer for advice. Most offer 24-emergency helpline services to arrange for damage to be inspected and repairs to be carried out as soon as possible.
  • If necessary, arrange for temporary repairs to be carried out to stop any damage worsening. Keep receipts, as these will be needed for any insurance claim.
  • Check if it is safe to use electricity, gas and water supplies.
  • Once flood water recedes, disinfect floors and furnishing. Where practical, leave doors, windows, and cupboards open. Where possible, keep rooms heated.
  • Do not be in a rush to redecorate, as it can take some months for a property to fully dry out. Your home insurer can give you advice.
  • If your travel plans have been affected by the storm, see our advice on flight cancellations and delays and travel delays
  • Do not do anything that puts you or your family at risk.

Aidan Kerr, Head of Property at the ABI said:

"Events like this are exactly what insurance is for. Insurers understand the devastation that weather like this causes and their first priority will be to work as quickly as possible to deal with claims and help customers recover.

"Anyone who has suffered damage due to the storm should contact their insurer as soon as possible for advice.”

For more information, read our Q&A:dealing with the storm - what to do next

Last updated 01/07/2016