We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Tidal surges and storms in the UK latest ABI advice

The ABI advises homeowners that have suffered flooding as a result of recent tidal surges and storms in the UK to:

  • Contact your home insurer as soon as possible. Most will have 24-hour emergency helplines, to give advice on next steps and arrange repairs as quickly as possible.
  • If necessary, arrange temporary emergency repairs to stop any damage getting worse. Tell your insurer and keep any receipts, as this will form part of your claim.
  • Do not be in a rush to throw away damaged items, unless they are a danger to health, as these may be able to be repaired or restored. Your insurer will advise.
  • It can take weeks, sometimes months for a property to fully dry out so do not be in a rush to redecorate. Your insurer can give you advice.
  • Do not do anything that will put you or your household at risk.

Where tidal surges or storms are predicted, people should listen to local radio and TV, and check the Environment Agency website for up-to-date information. 

What is covered by insurance?

  • Household buildings and contents policies will cover flood and storm damage, including that caused by storm winds. If your home is uninhabitable, your insurer will usually pay for temporary accommodation while it is being repaired.
  • Motor insurance covers damage to vehicles under comprehensive policies. Again, contact your insurer as soon as possible to get your claim moving. Some policies may provide you with a replacement vehicle if the damage is repairable.
  • Business insurance policies will cover storm damage to premises and stock.
  • Business interruption cover (which may be included or purchased separately) will cover additional costs, such as hiring temporary premises, if needed.

Aidan Kerr, Head of Property Insurance at the Association of British Insurers, commented:

"The impact of bad weather can be tragic, traumatic and destructive.  Events like this are exactly what insurance is for.

"Storm damage and flooding are covered as standard in property insurance policies. Top priority for insurers is to do everything possible to ensure customers get their claims moving and recover as soon as possible.”

The ABI has published a Q&A on dealing with damage caused by flooding and storms.

Last updated 01/07/2016