We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Heavy rain in London and the South East Flood advice from the ABI

The ABI advises anyone who has suffered flood damage to contact their home insurer as soon as possible.

Most will have 24-hour emergency helplines, which can give advice on what to do and arrange repairs as quickly as possible. Also:

  • If necessary, arrange temporary emergency repairs to stop any damage getting worse. Tell your insurer and keep any receipts, as this will form part of your claim.
  • Do not be in a rush to throw away damaged items, unless they are a danger to health, as these may be able to be repaired or restored. Your insurer will advise.
  • Only return to your home or business after a flood when it is safe to do so.
  • It can take weeks, sometimes longer, for a property to fully dry out so do not be in a rush to redecorate. Your insurer can give you advice.

Malcolm Tarling, Association of British Insurers, said:

"Insurers expect storms and flooding to strike at any time, and will be geared up to help customers who have suffered flood and storm damage recover as quickly as possible."

Home buildings and contents policies cover flood and storm damage. If your home is uninhabitable while repairs are being carried out, your insurer will arrange for and pay the cost of any alternative temporary accommodation you may need.

Commercial polices will cover damage to premises and the stock. Business interruption cover (which may be included or purchased separately) will cover additional trading costs, such as hiring temporary alternative trading premises if necessary.

Comprehensive motor insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by flooding.

For more information see our Flooding pages and our handy guides:

Last updated 01/07/2016