We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

ABI advice on Thomas Cook collapse

Mark Shepherd, Assistant Director, Head of General Insurance Policy, Association of British Insurers, said:

“At this worrying time for Thomas Cook customers, people who were due to travel with the company should contact the Civil Aviation Authority, their credit card provider, or bank first to discuss any refund. People currently abroad on a package holiday will be protected, with the ATOL scheme paying accommodation costs, and flights back to the UK. In addition, the Government has said that it will assist those who only booked flights with Thomas Cook to get back to the UK.

“Travel insurance policies can provide back up if compensation cannot be accessed from ATOL cover, ABTA cover, banks or credit card providers. In the first instance, customers should check their policies on what cover they have. Those with scheduled airline failure or end supplier failure should be able to get compensation for the cost of the flight. Where travel disruption is included, they may be covered for extra costs, such as additional hotel accommodation or the cost of new flights, where these are not recoverable from any other source.”

For more information read our Q&A.

Last updated 23/09/2019