We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Making a claim for subsidence

If you suspect your property has suffered from subsidence damage contact your home insurance provider as soon as possible.

Your insurer may send an engineer to your home to examine the damage caused by subsidence and determine its cause.

If the damage is minor, the cause can be easily determined and movement of your home has stopped, repairs will usually be carried out straight away.

If the damage is severe and subsidence is ongoing, the movement of your home may be monitored over a period of time so engineers can figure out a long-term solution.

In extreme cases your property may need to be underpinned  – where a building’s foundations are strengthened or deepened – to prevent further subsidence.  

Your buildings insurance policy will usually cover you for damage caused to the structure of your home by subsidence. Damage to surrounding structures such as garden walls, fences, gates, patios, and driveways is not usually covered, unless the damage occurs at the same time as the damage to your home.

If the damage to your home is so severe that the property is uninhabitable, your insurance will cover the cost of alternative accommodation while repairs are being carried out.

Most insurers impose an excess – usually £1,000 – on subsidence claims. 

Next steps

Contact your buildings insurance provider to find out exactly what is covered under your policy and how much excess you will need to pay. 

Claiming for subsidence caused by coal mining

Claims for damage caused by coal mining are dealt with through the Coal Authority, not through your usual home insurance provider.

If your property has suffered from subsidence due to coal mining:

  • download and fill out the Coal Authority's Damage Notice Form
  • send your completed Damage Notice Form to the owner of the coal mine in your area
  • the coal mine owner will usually send an engineer to inspect the damage to your home
  • tell your home insurance provider that you have made a claim for subsidence through the Coal Authority

For more information on preventing and dealing with subsidence damage see the our FAQs.