We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Compensation for an accident that was not your fault (third party assistance claims)

If you have been injured in a motor accident that was another driver’s fault, you may be able to make a claim against the other driver’s insurer.

You may be able to claim compensation for costs or losses associated with the accident such as:

  • medical treatment
  • legal fees
  • vehicle repairs
  • loss of earnings

Contact the other driver’s insurance company to find out what services or costs you may be entitled to.  The insurer is only required to restore you or your finances to the position you or they were in before the accident happened.  Insurers are legally obliged to compensate you only for reasonable losses connected with the accident. 

For more information about dealing with the other party's insurance company see the ABI third party assistance claimant guide (pdf 1.4MB).  Guidance for insurers can be found in the ABI code of practice – third party assistance (pdf 199kB).