We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Home contents insurance

Contents insurance covers the cost of replacing your possessions if they are damaged, destroyed or stolen. It includes everything you would take with you if you moved home ­including your furniture, kitchen appliances, curtains, bedding, clothing, television, computing equipment and jewellery.

Types of contents insurance policy

New for old policies replace your contents at their original purchase price regardless of how old they are or what condition they're in at the time you make a claim.  

Indemnity polices take wear and tear into account, replacing your items at their current value. For example, if you bought your television in 2009 for £400 and it’s valued at £200 in 2012, your insurer will pay out the lower amount if you make a claim.  

For more information see valuing your home's contents.

What it covers

Your contents insurance will cover the cost of repairing or replacing any of your possessions that are damaged or destroyed as a result of an insured event. 

Most contents insurance policies cover damage to or loss of your contents as a result of insured perils such as:

Cover for items outside the home 

Some contents insurance policies can be extended to cover items you take outside your home such as mobile phones, laptops, cameras and music players. 

For separate cover for your mobile phone, specific mobile phone insurance policies are available.

Check with your insurer to see what is covered by your policy.

For more information on finding the right home contents cover for you see the Money Advice Service (MAS) website.