We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us


Your occupation can affect the cost of your premium. People with certain professions may have to pay more than others for motor insurance, especially if they drive regularly or carry passengers as part of their job.

Actors, sports professionals, bar staff and builders, for example, often have to pay higher premiums as insurers believe that they are more likely to make a claim.

Insurers usually have set rates for each occupation, which they calculate based on risk pricing. Risk pricing allows insurers to evaluate the cost of taking on a risk – in this case the cost will be based on whether your occupation is considered high-risk or low-risk. Ask your insurer how your occupation will affect the cost of your premium.

You must tell your motor insurance provider if you use your personal vehicle for work purposes.

People with certain occupations may find it difficult to get cover, but they can usually find cover from a specialist insurance broker through the British Insurance Brokers' Association (BIBA).

Next steps

There are a number of things you can do to help reduce the cost of your motor insurance, regardless of your occupation. One option is to sign up for a telematics-based insurance policy, where your insurer uses a device to record your behaviour on the road and bases your premium on your demonstrated driving behaviour.