Representing the UK’s insurance and long-term savings industry | Contact us

Association of British Insurers

Renting a vehicle

If you rent a vehicle, either in the UK or abroad, you will not be covered by your regular motor insurance policy.

Your vehicle hire company will usually include some level of motor insurance as part of your hire agreement.  This is often only the most basic third party cover required by law in the country in which you are driving, but most companies will allow you to buy extra cover at an additional cost.

Next steps

  • read your rental agreement carefully to see what it covers
  • think about what extra cover you might want to add, for example protection against fire and theft or accidental damage ask your vehicle hire company what extra coverage they offer and at what cost