Representing the UK’s insurance and long-term savings industry | Contact us

Association of British Insurers

Unused vehicles

Even if you do not use your vehicle you are still legally obliged to insure itunless you officially declare it off the road. This is known as continuous insurance enforcement (CIE).

To declare a vehicle off the road you must make a formal Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) through the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency at

For more information on continuous insurance enforcement and SORN see the Motor Insurers’ Bureau website and GOV.UK on uninsured vehicles.