We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Claims and complaints

Making a claim on your travel insurance

Your travel insurance policy will contain details of how to make a claim. Take a copy of your policy document with you when you go abroad.

If something happens while you are away, contact your insurer as soon as possible. Your policy will list emergency contact numbers for you to call while you’re abroad.

If you are making a claim for lost or stolen passports, possessions and/or money you will be expected to provide your insurer with:

  • receipts or other proof of ownership
  • proof of loss or theft.

Police reports

It is important to obtain an official police report as evidence to support a claim in normal circumstances. This minimises the risk of fraudulent claims.

Where you are not able to contact the police or obtain a written report, a report should be made either to your tour representative, accommodation provider or carrier – for example, the airline or ferry company. You should also be prepared to explain why you could not report the loss to the police.

If your passport, possessions and/or money are stolen while you are abroad you should report the theft to the local police as soon as possible, and ask for a proof of notification document. You will need to give this document to your insurer if you make a claim.

What will my policy not cover?

Holidays are the perfect time to relax and have fun, but you should act responsibly while you are abroad.

Your travel insurance will not cover:

  • alcohol or drug-related incidents
  • the theft of unattended possessions.

Making a complaint about how your claim has been handled

Your policy document will tell you how to make a complaint if you feel that your insurer has not handled your claim fairly or efficiently.

Your insurer is obliged to respond to your complaint within eight weeks. If you’re not happy with how your insurer has dealt with your complaint you can take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

For more information see making a complaint.