We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Travel insurance policy types

There are a number of different travel insurance policies to choose from. The policy type most suitable for you will depend on:

  • the length of your trip
  • your destination
  • how many people you are travelling withhow old you are
  • the nature of your holiday, for example if you will be taking part in certain hazardous sports or leisure activities, or if you are going on a cruise
  • any pre-existing medical conditions

Policy Types

  • Single trip travel insurance
  • Annual/multi-trip travel insurance
  • Group/family travel insurance
  • Over 65s travel insurance - for more information see age and travel insurance
  • Specialist holiday cover – for hazardous sports and leisure activities, or cruise holidays
  • Backpackers’ and gap year travel insurance – covers extended stays abroad (usually up to 18 months)
  • Specialist insurance for those with pre-existing medical conditions - if you are finding it difficult to find suitable cover, a specialist insurance broker will usually be able to help. The British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) can put you in touch with a specialist broker.

Your travel insurance policy should cover you for the full duration of your trip abroad. Some policies may impose a maximum number of days' travel for each individual trip – check your policy document to see what you are covered for.

You should buy travel insurance as soon as you have booked your trip so that you are covered for anything that happens between the time of booking and your departure date.