We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Insurance for Schools

NB Some of the information set out below for schools is also relevant to private nurseries. As these nurseries operate as businesses, nursery owners may also find our section on Business Insurance helpful, which covers ‘business interruption’ and other issues businesses may face at this time.

We had a school trip planned abroad are we covered?

  • The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Travel to some countries and territories is currently exempted. This advice is being kept under constant review and travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice, so we would encourage you to check the Government's travel guidance.

  • Schools should always first seek a refund from the venue or tour provider, and then if needed, speak to their insurer to begin an insurance claim. 

We had a school trip planned in the UK – will we be covered for not going?

  • Schools should always first seek a refund from the venue or tour provider. For any cost that cannot be recovered schools should check the type and scope of their insurance cover. Claims will be paid where policy terms are met, however there may be Covid-19 exclusions in place for trips booked after the pandemic was declared. This is because insurance is primarily designed to cover against unforeseen risks that you did not know about at the time of booking.  
  • If the venue hosting a school trip can no longer do so because of official government guidance, the closure of the venue, or their reluctance to accept school trips due to their stated concerns about the spread of Covid-19, the school should seek a refund from the venue in the first instance before contacting your insurer.

Will our school be able to claim on our insurance for loss of income due to the school being closed?

  • Standard school insurance policies are designed and priced to cover standard risks (i.e. fire, theft and flood) and are therefore very unlikely to provide cover for loss of income as a result of the effects of global pandemics like Covid-19. This includes forced closure by the authorities. 
  • Some school business interruption policies may include limited extensions for interruption and a loss of income arising from the occurrence of notifiable or infectious diseases. However, these extensions will usually list the diseases that will be covered, and they are unlikely to include cover for Covid-19 or other coronaviruses.  
  • Schools who are concerned about the impacts of Covid-19 should check the scope of their cover, and check with their insurance adviser or broker.

Will the school be covered if left unoccupied over the period specified in the policy?

  • The school’s insurance policy is likely to specify certain actions the school operators should take if the school is unoccupied for longer than usual. Please check your school’s insurance policy or with your insurer to see what they defined as unoccupied. The actions the school operator should take may include switching off electrical and water services, except to maintain protections such as alarms and the heating of your premises, the sealing of letterboxes, securing of all points of entry and exit to premises, and any other  protections the school has in place or that the insurer might require. 
  • The school’s insurer might require regular inspections of the premises and for school administrators to keep a written log of their activity. If the school is unable to comply with the requirements of their policy, the school policy holder should check with their insurer to discuss how they can support the school at this time.  It may be that there are other protections that can be considered and implemented.  The insurer will also be able to advise on any activity that should take place whilst the school is closed, or partially closed, to ensure that the insurance remains valid. 

We are concerned about safeguarding vulnerable children due to the school being closed.

  • Government advice states that the children of key workers and vulnerable children can continue to attend school.  The Government has confirmed that ‘vulnerable children’ include those who have a social worker and those with Education, Health and Care Plans – a legal document that describes a child’s special educational needs and the support they require.
  • We would expect the normal approach to safeguarding being undertaken by those schools remaining open throughout this period. Schools should escalate safeguarding concerns through the normal means.
  • If there are additional children that the school consider to be vulnerable and may be concerned around the risk of harm being caused to them, whilst not at school and the associated insurance liabilities related to this, we would recommend that you discuss with the local education authority and speak to your insurer.