Brexit Motor FAQs

  • Will I still be able to use my insurance to drive in other EU member states after 31 December?

    Yes. All UK motor insurance providers will continue to provide the legal minimum motor insurance cover for travel to European Economic Area countries (EEA - all EU countries, plus Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein). 

    If you are a UK motorist, you will, therefore, not need to purchase additional third-party motor insurance policy cover when travelling to these countries with a UK-registered vehicle. You would continue to hold the same third-party cover that you do now. 

  • Does this apply for driving across the Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland border?

    Northern Ireland residents driving to the Republic of Ireland:

    Yes. You should contact your insurer to arrange for the appropriate Green Card documents.

    Republic of Ireland residents travelling to Northern Ireland:

    No. Valid Irish insurance discs will be accepted as proof of insurance for Irish vehicles.

  • Do I need to carry any additional documents if I am driving with a caravan or trailer?

    Yes. If your vehicle is towing a trailer or caravan, you will need two Green Cards. One for the towing vehicle and one for the trailer, or caravan.

  • If I have a multi-car policy will I need a Green Card for each vehicle insured?

    Yes. A Green Card is required to cover the registration number of the individual vehicle, so a Green Card will be needed to cover each vehicle insured under one policy when being driven in the EU. 

  • Do I need to tell my insurer I plan to drive in another EU member state?

    Yes. You will need to contact your motor insurer in advance of any trip to arrange for Green Card documents to be provided. We would suggest you contact them about one month in advance. This will apply to any motor vehicle and to all forms of motor insurance – including commercial and motor fleet policies.  

    Private motorists are already advised to contact their insurer in advance of overseas travel (including within the EU) to arrange for other aspects of their cover to be extended to the period while driving abroad (including cover for accidental damage to the vehicle). The exact arrangements for this will depend on the level of cover taken out when you bought the policy. 

  • Will there be any additional charges?

    It is possible that there may be a small administrative charge associated with the provision of Green Card documents.  

    In addition, if you have fully comprehensive insurance, you will need to contact your insurer to check what aspects of this apply while you are driving abroad. Some insurers will allow you to purchase additional cover for when you are driving abroad.

  • Is my insurer ready to issue Green Cards?

    Yes. Insurers have been preparing for this and will be able to issue Green Cards in time for your trip. We recommend that you contact your insurer around one month before you plan to travel.

  • If I have to tell my insurer in advance, how much notice will I need to give?

    In order to allow sufficient time to process documents, you will need to give your insurer sufficient notice of your intention to travel in advance. So, it is best to contact them about one month in advance.  

    It is a requirement that your Green Card document covers a period of a minimum of 15 days. Therefore, if your motor insurance policy is due to expire less than 15 days after the date of travel, you will need to ensure you have confirmed your renewal before you depart (even if your trip is less than 15 days in total).  

    As is the case with other forms of travel documentation, you may also need to allow additional time if you are travelling at a busy period, such as during the summer or around a Bank Holiday.  

  • What happens if I have not received a Green Card?

    If you are not carrying a Green Card when it is required, then you will not be able to drive legally in any EU member state. If you do attempt to drive in the EU without holding a Green Card, you may be accused of driving without insurance and could face a fine, having your vehicle seized, or prosecution.  

    The only other legal option available would be to purchase insurance locally when you arrive in the country (often known as ‘frontier insurance’). However, such insurance cover may not be widely available and may be more expensive than UK-issued policies. 

  • Do I need to have a paper copy of a Green Card when I travel or will a digital version be ok?

    You will need to have a physical copy with you when you travel – your insurer can either send you a physical copy of the green card, or can send you a digital copy which you must print out – either will be acceptable.