Brexit Motor FAQs

  • My business has vehicles regularly driving across the Northern Irish border. Do those vehicles require a green card?

    Yes. It is particularly important to ensure that any vehicle driving across the Northern Irish border has a Green Card.

  • Can I use the documents insurers provide to rent or borrow a vehicle while I am in an EU member state? 

    No. If Green Card documents are provided, this will only apply to your own UK-registered vehicle.  If you want to rent or borrow a vehicle, you will need to arrange insurance separately and your Green Card will not cover this.  


  • What happens if I am involved in an accident abroad that I may be wholly or partly responsible for – do I need to contact my insurer? 

    Yes. You will need to contact your insurer as soon as possible. You will also need to ask for the insurance details of the other driver and we would also strongly recommend you gather as much evidence as you can about what happened in the accident, including taking photos if possible.

  • Do I need a European Accident Statement?

    No. The European Accident Statement is a standardised document to make it easier for drivers involved in an accident to exchange facts, but you are not required to carry a copy of the European Accident Statement in your car. Your insurer may provide you with a copy alongside your Green Card. 


  • What help will I receive if I am involved in an accident that was not my fault while driving in the EU?  

    Through the Green Card scheme, the UK has well-established relationships with motor insurers in each member state to facilitate the settlement of claims for any incidents involving cross-border drivers.  

    The UK has now been withdrawn from the ‘Protection of Visitors Scheme' which allows victims of road traffic collisions in EEA countries to make compensation claims in their own country and language.

    However, the Motor Insurance Bureau has been working closely with the Bureaux and Guarantee Funds of EEA states to sign bilateral Protection of visitors agreements to facilitate the exchange of information, to enable the MIB and EEA counterparts to assist victims in obtaining the information they may need to make a claim. At present, agreements have been reached with most EEA states, but a full path to compensation has not been established for Poland and Romania.

  • If I do not intend to use my car in another EU member state and only plan to drive in the UK, will this have any impact on my car insurance?  

    No. If you do not intend to use your car outside of the UK, you will not need to arrange for your insurer to issue you with a Green Card and there will not be any impact on your insurance cover.  

  • Will the rules for driving abroad change when the UK-EU transition period comes to an end?

    In addition to the potential changes to insurance rules, there will be a number of significant changes to driving rules and licensing requirements. You will need to comply with all these requirements under the terms of your motor insurance policy.