If I have comprehensive motor insurance, will this automatically cover me if my car is damaged or stolen abroad?

All UK motor insurance providers will continue to provide the legal minimum motor insurance cover for travel to EEA countries if the driver is carrying a valid Green Card. You will, therefore, not need to purchase additional third-party motor insurance cover when travelling to these countries with a UK-registered vehicle.

Fully comprehensive motor insurance provides coverage for you and your vehicle as well as other people – this is more than is provided by third-party policies.

Not all insurers will automatically extend fully comprehensive cover for travel abroad, so it is advisable to carefully read your policy documents and contact your insurer to check what aspects of your policy apply while you are driving abroad.