We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Storm Agnes - be prepared - insurance advice


Homeowners and businesses need to be prepared as Storm Agnes approaches. But be assured that, should you suffer any storm damage, insurers will do everything they can to help you recover as quickly as possible.  

Damage caused by storms is covered by standard home insurance, commercial business policies, and comprehensive motor insurance. 

Mark Shepherd, Head of General Insurance Policy at the Association of British Insurers said:

“Insurers expect bad weather at any time and their priority is always to help their affected customers recover as quickly as possible. 

“Where properties are damaged by floods or storms, insurers will be on hand to make emergency payments, arrange any temporary emergency accommodation, and make sure the damage is repaired. 

“If you suffer damage to your property, contact your insurer as soon as you can for help and advice.” 

The ABI advises people to: 

  • Keep a close eye on weather warnings, and follow advice from The Met Office, The Environment Agency, Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Natural Resources Wales and the Department for Infrastructure in Northern Ireland.
  • Where possible, store items left in gardens that can easily be blown away and cause damage, like ladders, inside, or ensure they are secure.
  • Have contact details of your home insurer to hand, along with other emergency contact numbers for your utility providers and the local authority.

If you suffer storm damage: 

  • Contact your insurer as soon as possible. Most will have 24-hour emergency helplines to ensure you get advice on what to do and arrange repairs as quickly as is possible.
  • If necessary, arrange temporary emergency repairs to stop any damage getting worse, but speak to your insurer first.
    If you have to arrange emergency repairs yourself, tell your insurer and keep any receipts, as this will form part of your claim. 
  • Do not be in a rush to throw away damaged items, unless they are a danger to health, as these may be able to be repaired or restored. Your insurer will advise.

If your home is uninhabitable while repairs are being carried out, your insurer will arrange for, and pay the cost of, any alternative temporary accommodation you may need in line with your policy. 

Commercial polices will cover damage to premises and stock. Business interruption cover (which may be included or purchased separately) will cover additional trading costs, such as hiring temporary alternative trading premises if necessary. 
Comprehensive motor insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by storms. 

Read our full guidance on coping with storm damage here.

Last updated 28/09/2023