We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Flood advice from the Association of British Insurers

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) is reassuring homeowners and businesses affected by the recent flooding that insurers are doing everything possible to help them recover.

This includes arranging and paying for temporary alternative accommodation where necessary, pro-actively contacting customers in flooded areas and, as soon as it is practical to do so, organising the drying out and repair process.

Anyone who has suffered flood damage should contact their insurer or broker as soon as possible. Most will have 24-hour emergency helplines, to give advice on what to do and arrange repairs as quickly as possible. Insurers have teams on the ground helping their customers and managing the claims process with them.

ABI advice if you have been hit by flooding.

Only return to your home or business after a flood when it is safe to do so.

If necessary, arrange temporary emergency repairs to stop any damage getting worse. Tell your insurer and keep any receipts, as this will form part of your claim.

Do not be in a rush to throw away damaged items, unless they are a danger to health, as these may be able to be repaired or restored. If you do need to throw any items away, take a photograph and take a small sample of items such as carpets before you do. Your insurer will advise.

It can take weeks, sometimes longer, for a property to fully dry out so do not be in a rush to redecorate. Your insurer can give you advice.

Laura Hughes, Manager, General Insurance at the ABI, said:

Laura Hughes"Insurers expect flooding at any time, and their top priority is helping customers who have suffered flood and storm damage recover as quickly as possible. If you have been affected by flooding, contact your insurer as soon as possible for help and advice."

Home buildings and contents policies cover flood and storm damage. If your home is uninhabitable while repairs are being carried out, your insurer will arrange for and pay the cost of any alternative temporary accommodation you may need.

Commercial polices will cover damage to premises and the stock. Business interruption cover (which may be included or purchased separately) will cover additional trading costs, such as hiring temporary alternative trading premises if necessary.

Comprehensive motor insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing vehicles damaged by flooding.

Last updated 12/11/2019