We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us

Making a claim and getting help

Nobody wants to have to use their travel insurance. If you have travel insurance and something does happen before you go away or while you are away, your travel insurer or their emergency assistance company is on hand to help.

You will find phone number(s) for assistance in your policy, in the email you were sent when you bought your insurance, or on the insurer’s website. Be sure to save phone number(s) on your mobile phone or on your other devices so you are able to find them quickly in case of an emergency.

Remember - Don’t wait to call your insurer!

For all travel claims while you are away, or before you leave, you need to contact your insurer as soon as possible.

Running into problems

Hospitals and government authorities overseas are not always easy to deal with. In a small number of cases, travellers have dealt with bullying and other behaviours. These behaviours can make you uncomfortable. Your travel insurer can help by liaising directly with the hospital. The nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate may also be able to help.

24 hour emergency medical assistance

Your travel insurer should provide you with a 24/7 phone number to ring in the event that you need to use your travel insurance to seek medical assistance.

If it is not an emergency, you should call your insurer before you seek medical assistance. 

If it is an emergency, seek assistance at your nearest appropriate medical facility first and contact your insurer, or have a travel companion contact your insurer, as soon as it is safe to do so.


If you would like to make a complaint, you should find the details about how to make a complaint in your travel insurance policy or on your insurer’s website.
Your insurer has to respond to your complaint within eight weeks. If you’re not happy with how they have dealt with your complaint you can take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service.