We are the voice of insurance and long-term savings | Contact us


ABI Responding to Floods Guide

This leaflet explains how your insurance company will respond in an emergency situation where your home has been flooded.

Read a text version of this video.

Flooding has become a major issue for some homeowners and tenants looking for buildings and contents insurance. The UK experienced some of its wettest weather in a century in 2012. Widespread flooding affected more than 8,000 properties, causing £400 million worth of damage.

Since 4th April 2016, a not-for-profit scheme called Flood Re helps people who live in flood risk areas get affordable home insurance. If you are an insurance customer, read our customer guide to find out more.

A detailed briefing on how Flood Re was designed and operates is available on our Flood Re explained page.

If you live in a flood-prone area you may find it difficult to access home insurance. If you're having problems finding cover, try contacting insurance companies directly or through a broker via the British Insurance Brokers’ Association

See the ABI's tips on accessing flood insurance for more information.

Accurately assessing your flood risk may help you when approaching insurers for cover. If you live in a flood-prone area the ABI’s tips on preparing for a flood will help you to minimise the damage to your home and its contents. 

If you’ve already experienced flooding see the ABI's advice on recovering from a flood and making an insurance claim.

There is also specific advice for businesses available here.